Monday, September 03, 2007

Letter printed in last year's 'Wolverine Prints'

950 Fox Acres Road

Hailey, Idaho 83333

Room B204

A Freshman Forever?

In regards to Mark Pederson’s complaint about being harassed as a freshman: I remember 31 years ago proudly marching into orientation day at our new high school. There they were, all the upperclassman,banging on metal railings with pipes shouting, “Freshmen! Freshmen! Freshmen!” - Like we were new meat for the “Mean Machine” cheerleaders to root against in Burt Reynolds movie “The Longest Yard”. Scott Burnette was the ringleader. He continued to razz me all year. No matter what I accomplished or how fast I ran in my PF Flyers, I could not avoid the “freshman” taunts.

Finally sophomore year came around and I confronted Burnette, “Thank goodness I’m a sophomore now, you can finally let up on that freshman business.” He replied, Banholzer, you’ll always be a freshman in my eyes!”

-Jim Banholzer

Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts