Saturday, December 22, 2007

I originally titled my letter of public interest to the Times-News as “Humane Slaughterhouse ban creates new dilemmas,” until it was edited into the better fitting “Horses need our protection”. Naturally, such a touchy subject could be easily misconstrued as my meaning, "it's awful to send an old crippled horse to a packing plant.”

Sure, there’s nothing wrong with people who eat horsemeat. As far as I can remember, the same thing goes for robust ham & buffalo-burger munchers - hidden connection between Mad Cow and misdiagnosed Alzheimer’s disease notwithstanding.

I’ve been called a carnivore before. If it was offered, I might test a tiny bite of horsemeat in my mouth “to sate my academic curiosity,” (kind of like in the spirit of Commander Tibbets inspecting dark Nagasaki this time of year, back in ‘45). On the other hand, I might change my mind at the last second and turn away disgusted from the Christmas Dinner table. Afraid I can’t say for sure, til it actually happens to me.

People from PETA poles apart (People Eating Tasty Animals and People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) might agree; that if there is something more awful than wasting perfectly good meat, it’s the unnecessary harsh treatment some of these animals are stricken with on their way to the slaughterhouses.

Spark Zebarth, I hope that you are correct when you say that those beyond border butchering plants are inspected the same as others. I would like to see some facts to back up your statement, and then would embrace them if they can be proven true.

Even with all the mad cow burgers I’ve probably consumed over the years, I still remember the chapter from FAST FOOD NATION that revealed how the plant in Greeley, Colorado slowed production down to a safer level, on days that meat was being shipped to Europe, because they had to meet higher standards. So perhaps you are right. Maybe the Mexican and Canadian plants even exceed our standards!

Maybe I had better hold my earlier statement at the starting gate, until we can determine exactly which horse slaughterhouses pale in comparison.

Meanwhile our once-beloved horses are still overburdened with the longer transport problem and humane treatment inspection exemption.

Moreover, Spark, we are working on another care center for horses. The eve of my letter’s publication, an equestrian called to inform me about a synchronistic article called “Saving an American horse for Christmas” by Dennis Higman in the December 19 Idaho Mountain Express. Mr. Higman had pastured seven of his cowboy neighbor Frank’s horses, but as winter approached and the cost of diesel and hay skyrocketed he said, that something had to give and to their surprise that something was those horses going to auction. After a heart-rending story, where the horses ended up selling for fifty bucks each and headed for the slaughterhouse, they decided to look into seeing if they could find some other place where future unwanted horses might be welcomed besides the slaughterhouse. They found a viable place called Orphan Acres, a non-profit near Moscow run by a man named Brent Glover. Now the Higman’s are looking to utilize their own ranchland in the Twin Creeks area north of Sun Valley, as a satellite-summertime-sanctuary for unwanted horses, providing them with “good food and vet care in the hope they will regain their health and be adopted.”

In addition, there has been some buzz, that the Illinois horse slaughterhouse is attempting to reopen, by appealing the newly passed law, but so far, I have been unable to substantiate the details on this. Whether or not this plant opens, the news is a mixed black and white paint, no matter who is inspecting the horse’s mouth.

Thanks to all for this dialogue opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts