Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hello aerobie administrators and facilitators,

Have you ever considered a design such as this? A peace symbol filling in interior space of the aerobie? I think that it would go over well this summer. Imagine great peace aerobies orbiting around the National Mall this Fourth of July or at various war protests throughout the civilized world? Or a special limited edition at the ready in the event a war actually ended? I would take my newfangled “peace missive” aerobie to whatever great diplomats are responsible for ending the war and have them autograph it in permanent ink.

I have always been a big fan of this marvelous toy and even met Mr. Adler at an event back in the mid-80’s that was recorded on CBS’s Charles Osgood files. This was during Presidents day weekend and the worlds Champion at the time Scott Zimmerman dressed up as a patriot and attempted to toss some aerobies across the Potomac River from a Virginia bluff. He taped a Susan B. Anthony silver dollar to the first few aerobies, but they all dropped into the river. Soon someone suggested taping two coins and placing them on opposite ends –to counterbalance each other – and according to legend, this helped Scott became the first person since George Washington to toss a silver dollar across the Potomac.

I also recall at this event that the inventor, Mr. Adler instructed fans as to the proper pronunciation of “Aerobie” (AIR-oh-bee). This often came in handy later when disagreements broke out as to the proper pronunciation - I could always say I heard it straight from the horse’s mouth.

Best regards,

Jim Banholzer

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:38 PM

    From: alan@aerobie.com [mailto:alan@aerobie.com]
    Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:37 PM
    To: Jim Banholzer
    Subject: Peace





    Hi Jim,



    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely a dove myself.

    Although I confess to being more hawkish when young. But

    I'm older and wiser now. As they say, "Youth is wasted on

    the young".



    Considering the high cost of plastic molds, I hope you'll

    understand if we don't make the peace-symbol Aerobie. But

    I certainly like the idea, and shant easily forget it.



    We had a lot of fun that weekend in DC. I still see Scott

    Zimmerman occasionaly. He lives in San Diego.



    Best regards,



    Alan Adler

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts