Saturday, November 24, 2007

Continuing Clint Correspondence

Dave,

You’re welcome. I’ve been finding this enjoyable -keeping my Clint Eastwood research skills up to snuff!

As far as obtaining a better photo of the Wood River mining / Clint Eastwood sign, I have been meaning to do this for myself too. I don’t have a good camera, but this presents a good opportunity for me to ask one of the instructors at the local community college out for a lunch & photo excursion with her camera. I’ll ask for the good nameless preachers blessing at church tomorrow to see what I can do for us in the upcoming week.

For now, here is that link to Brad Nottingham’s comments. Brad lived here when they filmed Pale Rider. Besides the elusive Mt.Express newspapers, his must be one of the most interesting accounts of the fabled movie. Brad and I should probably consider submitting his telling to the Internet movie database to share with enthusiastic Eastwood fans.

http://greenvanholzer.blogspot.com/2007/11/brad-nottinghams-pale-rider-memories.html

Brad mentioned in his Pale Rider recounting that David Butterfield is still around. Actually though, Mr. Butterfield has passed on, just a few years back. I would wager that Evelyn Phillips at Typographics -the place where Brad used to work- has an old copy of Mr. Butterfields field guide to potential movie locations in Idaho, which Brad mentions. Evelyn’s work phone is 208-788-0022. Amongst her vast talents, Evelyn is a master mapmaker who holds a great historical interest in the area. In addition, she was the first publisher of the Mt. Express newspaper. Again, if you do call Evelyn, it might be helpful to mention my name, as she and her husband Jim were kindhearted enough to invite several of us outcasts of the community who had no other place to go, over to their house for Thanksgiving Dinner this past week. (This too came rather unexpected and felt like something quite helpful out of a classic Eastwood Western)

Dave, I hope to get back with you later next week with that photo, and yes, I am interested in hearing how your book is coming along. I’ve been planning to rewrite the Enlightening Eastwood story into perhaps a more succinct version, for submission to an Idaho newspaper or magazine and would like to see if I can squeeze in a mention of your upcoming book, whenever I do so.

Best regards,

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Solo Publishing [mailto:solopublishing@firenet.uk.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:21 PM
To: Jim Banholzer
Subject: Re: Pale Rider

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for a prompt response - and what a response! There is definitely enough information there for me to follow up on, and I'm sure I will be able to locate a couple of photos from someone associated with the area. Also, thank you for offering to share your information too. Very kind. Can I ask another favour? I would love a better quality (hi res) photo of that sign you took on your camera phone!

Once again, your efforts are much appreciated and I will keep you posted on my discoveries.

Regards

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts