Monday, July 07, 2008


Nana Joyce

Since my maternal Grandmother would have turned 114 on July 5, I was thinking about her and how symbolic 114 is, since it often is the age of the oldest person in the world.

In a related concept, in some African Culture’s, there are a couple of highly respected concepts called the Sasha and the Zamzini. The Sasha regards somebody like Nana relating to us, since although she has passed on, she is sometimes still very alive in our minds. For instance any of our extended family who experienced early Pennsylvanian oatmeal mornings in Nana’s kitchen, could probably describe in detail many aspects of her loving personality and the surrounding atmosphere, which she created.

When the last person who is alive that knew Nana in their great memory, passes on, then she will be considered to have passed into the Zamzini, since then, nobody alive will have known her in person.

One reason that this is such an important concept is so that we can accurately gauge history. For instance think about George Washington, Caesar, Napoleon etc.; since nobody who is now alive, actually knew them; it makes it harder to refute questionable items printed (with great authority) in our history books.

2 comments:

  1. Kind of a morbid thought, but I wonder if anyone there ever hated someone so much that they killed not only that person, but those that person knew as well -- in order to ensure that the person did not "live on" in the Sasha.

    Probably not... only a warped, f*cked up American who watches too much Tarantino (uh, like me) could ever envision such a thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a relevant comment from Colleen S. to my mother, which I feel belongs here:


    Ceil,
    Yes Mary Lou kept me up-to-date on Walter's diagnosis, she wanted to know about how things progressed with Mom and how Daddy handled different things. Her last letter to me she told me she felt he was doing so well on the medicine and that she thought things were much better.
    Ceil, I very appreciate you taking the time to let me know what is going on. You have a wonderful family and I am grateful to have been a receipient of your kindness.
    I remember very much being young and going to your Mom's house with my Mom. We would sit in the kitchen and talk and she was so kind. Once i had a beet garden and when we went to see your Mom I took her some of my beets. She made a big fuss and I was so happy. Not long after that when I was in school one day at St. Leo's my Mom came to school to help in the cafeteria she told me she had stopped a Mrs. Joyce's house on the way and Mrs Joyce sent me something I would have to wait till after school to have it. I ran home from school that day to find a tin of hard candies. I was just over the moon! My own tin of candy!! I never forgot her kindness and as your brother always says "the apple does not fall far from the tree".
    Have a wonderful day and again thank you for your kindness.
    love
    colleen

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts