Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ill-Functioning Newspaper receptacles


The highlight of a trip I took back east several years ago was a visit to Rosslyn, Virginia’s old Newseum. Still reeling from the trip, when I returned to my job, as the circulation manager for a small Idaho weekly, I tried to convince our publisher that it would behoove us to install a newspaper stand at the adjacent subway entrance. I even had a friend who would volunteer to ride his bike down to fill the newsstand every week. It would have been a great publicity stunt for our paper, the only Idaho paper across the street from that towering monument to newspapers, even if we could experimented with this idea for only a year, the payoff might have been remarkable. Ultimately though something innovative like this –like so many other things were pooh-poohed and not deemed fit for our conservative budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts