Monday, June 03, 2019

Firefly adores ladybugs and butterflies


Firefly adores Hummingbirds and Ladybugs

draft 2


A close friend in Idaho has a precocious daughter who runs like the wind and enjoys climbing trees. We’ve aptly nicknamed her Firefly. Firefly has a fascination for ladybugs and likes to inspect them with her magnifying glass before they buzz off at hyper-sonic speeds. Once she spied a pink ladybug outside a coffee shop that dozens of tall passersby missed seeing. 


Firefly and I are holding a contest to see which State has the most ladybugs; Pennsylvania or Idaho?  So far the Gem State is in the lead, but if I get more outdoorsy I feel the Keystone State might pull ahead; although I reckon it would be fair to count her pink ladybug as ten points.
Besides lovely ladybugs, Firefly and I share tales about butterflies and hummingbirds. I told Firefly about the splendiferous white butterflies flying out of Spring Mills. Now I want to send her some hovering hummingbird photos. An unexpected thing about the hummingbird photos I caught was the stern look on their faces. I suppose I’d be serious too if as an elite flying athlete I wasn’t sure where my next meal was coming from, because someone neglected to fill their bird vitamin feeder.
I sent an article out last season about how important this is, to keep your hummingbird feeders maintained. On top of that it’s at least as important to rinse the bacteria from feeders in between fill-ups to prevent hummers from becoming ill. This could further explain the stern look on their faces we’ve see before they ‘tank up’ for the night.
Following our most recent ladybug tally-up, young Firefly asked if I had any more interesting insect insights, so I gave her a riddle: “What did the guy firefly say to his girlfriend when twilight loomed?” Firefly lit up tickled pink and said, “You glow Girl!”   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts