Sunday, June 02, 2019

Hummingbirds, Fireflies and Ladybugs


A close friend in Idaho has a daughter who runs fast and enjoys climbing trees. We’ve aptly nicknamed her Firefly. Firefly and I are having a ladybug contest to see if Idaho or Pennsylvania has more. So far the Gem State is winning, but I feel if I get outdoors more our Keystone State could pull ahead with ladybugs. 

Besides lovely ladybugs we talk about butterflies and hummingbirds. I told Firefly about the splendiferous Spring Mills white butterflies and now I want to send her some hummingbird photos. A funny thing about the hovering hummingbird photos I caught is the stern look on their distinct faces. I suppose I’d be serious too, if as an elite flying athlete I wasn’t sure where my next meal was coming from, because someone neglected to fill their vitamin feeder. 

I sent an article out last season about how important this is, to keep your hummingbird feeders maintained. On top of that it’s at least as important to clean the bacteria out of the feeders in between fill ups to keep the hummers from becoming ill. This could further explain the stern look on their faces we’ve been seeing before they ‘tank up’ for the night. 

On a lighter note after our most recent spring ladybug tally-up, I asked Firefly. “What did the guy firefly say to his girlfriend after the rainbow?” Firefly responded, “You glow Girl!”
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts