Monday, August 20, 2007



Response to Greg Farber's "Pseudo Paul McCartney" theory



http://blog.sunvalleyonline.com/index.php/greg-farber/1878/#comment-44313


Greg, Wow! Those are interesting websites you’ve posted above.


Seeing these referred transforming photos of Paul McCartney reminded me of peculiar characteristics of another one of my favorite musicians, Eric Clapton.


A cream of the crop music compilation of his is “The History of Eric Clapton.”
On the reverse of this album are some photos showing the much-idolized Mr. Clapton in his various transformations of music style, dress, hair and even facial appearances.
Currently, I’m unable to find a copy of the reverse cover. However, I did find this video, which reveals Mr. Clapton appearing as though he is completely different person in some instances:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkJQ9TDP8o


The dissimilar photos of Clapton struck me as a curiosity, ever since buying that album thirty years ago. Was purposely shifting his features part of his plan to augment showing how diverse of a musician he was? Or, does in fact being a revolutionary cutting-edge musician in the way Clapton & McCartney are/were transform their lives so completely that bodily characteristics and facial features alter rapidly enough that it becomes noticeable?


And what else transforms in individuals when you become that powerful?


In addition, is there a survival instinct inherent in rock stars of all genres to want to shape-shift, or at least don disguises to keep out of the pubic eye when they desire to walk around in public like a normal person without being mobbed?


Another notable thing about (the above) song Badge is that George Harrison and Clapton co-wrote it after becoming friends when The Beatles shared a bill with the Clapton-era Yardbirds at the London Palladium.


Clapton became close enough with Harrison that he played “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” on the Beatles much-analyzed-for- conspiracy- White Album. After one of the fab-four’s tiffs, John Lennon even briefly proposed that Clapton replace George Harrison.


Though I am not a musician, I certainly enjoy music. Back then I came to know Clapton’s long rendition of Willie Dixon’s ‘Spoonful’ so well, that as I sang along with the record, sometimes my friends would ‘test’ me by turning the volume down to zero for twenty or thirty seconds to determine see how close I could keep in step with the muted record. With my high functioning “restless leg syndrome” keeping rhythm, my song usually tweetered out right on, when my friends flicked the volume back up again.


One more thing about John Lennon. He was shot at the Dakota building in N.Y City. This is the same cursed building where “Rosemary’s Baby” was filmed. Skeptical as I’ve been about many things, this particular synchronicity struck me as being far too powerful to be a mere coincidence.


Oh and another thing. Fans used to tell Clapton that he was God. It’s reported that he held great distaste for this misnomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts