Wednesday, October 24, 2007


Letter from Senator Larry Craig

October 23, 2007


Mr. Jim Banholzer
PO BOX 10039
Ketchum, Idaho 83340

Dear Jim:

Because of your past contact with me on issues of importance to you, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide you with an update on Senate activities and let you know how much I appreciate having the benefit of your thoughts.

The past several weeks have been an extremely difficult time in my personal and professional life. However, I assure you that, despite the rapidly changing circumstances surrounding my case in Minnesota, I have made decisions regarding my place in the United States Senate according to what I believe is best for Idaho. For that reason, I returned to work in mid-September in order to vote on numerous bills and continue my active participation on each of my assigned committees. As I have publicly announced, I will continue to work on Idaho's behalf throughout the remainder of my term and retire at the end of 2008.

The Senate has been very active since my return to Washington, D.C. We recently passed the Fiscal Year 2008 Defense Authorization and Defense Appropriations bills, with several of Idaho's high tech and research-based projects receiving a total of $45 million in federal funding. At the committee level, I have continued to focus on the natural resource issues important to our state, such as wildfire activity, mining, and managing federal lands.

In the coming weeks and months, we will be finishing work on a number of appropriations bills which include funding for public safety programs, conservation, agricultural research, and health research initiatives throughout Idaho. In anticipation of a new Farm Bill reaching the Senate floor, I am supporting inclusion of robust specialty crop provisions, as well as other key programs of importance to Idaho's farmers and ranchers. The Senate is also expected to revisit the Clean Energy Act of 2007 as the bill moves toward final passage. I have made it a priority to ensure that this bill moves our country toward greater energy security by promoting expanded and efficient opportunities for energy production here at home, and I am looking forward to continuing my work on this front.

As the first session of the 110th Congress winds down, representing Idaho's interests on these and other issues remains my top priority. The suggestions and feedback I receive from Idahoans on these matters is critical to my ability to do so effectively. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on the issues most important to you. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me, and please do not hesitate to let me know how I may be of further service to you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

LARRY E. CRAIG
United States Senator

LEC\ben



Note: Please do not reply to this message because it was sent by an unmonitored account used for outgoing correspondence only.

If you would like to contact Senator Craig, please send your email message through his website. Visit
http://craig.senate.gov/email/ to send your message or to learn about other ways of contacting Senator Craig or one of his staff members.

Should you need immediate assistance during regular business hours or while the Senate is in session, you may call Senator Craig's Washington, DC office at 202-224-2752.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts